Recent Happenings

Monday, January 02, 2006

Resolutions?

Is it completely pointless to make new year's resolutions? Does anyone really abide by them? I always want to, but just like every other typical American I get a few weeks past January 1st and conveniently forget all about them.

But I can give it a try...

1) Lose weight...(is this everyone's #1?) -- And hopefully a good 20 pounds by...hm, the end of spring. That's not too bad.

2) Gather some money for a trip somewhere. I'm not sure if this is going to happen this year, but I really want it to. Last year all I could think about was flying out to Edinburgh, Scotland....but this year I'm thinking more local - like, across the country local. I just want one fantastic experience of driving through the desert (of all things) and enjoying the complete peace and silence of being absolutely in the middle of nowhere. Living near NYC kills me sometimes. I cherish silence - it's so rarely granted to us. Nevada. Arizona. I could do with either of those. --- and then Edinburgh (still a goal) next year?

3) I would really love at some point this year to start either (or both) guitar lessons or piano lessons. Guitar I already know a bit of, but I'd like to become a lot better. I just broke a string the other day...I have to go buy some more, so I might look into prices for lessons while I'm there. Piano lessons...that's just something I've wanted to do forever, but have never had the money for. I love guitar, but to me the most beautiful kind of musician is someone who can really work a piano. Someone, anyone, playing a gorgeous, shiny black grand piano....that's always been a pretty image in my head.

4) Hopefully I can try to be a little easier on those closest to me. I seem to be affected most by those that are closest to my heart, and therefore take my anger or annoyance out on them in return. I want to stop letting things bother me, so I can stop feeling so angry at times. This is probably more like a long-term goal.

5) It would be...excellent...to graduate from college this year. Here's to hoping.

6) Oh, most important of all for me this year...I don't really think this is really a resolution...it's just something I feel compelled to do, something I must do. -- Ever since I started my internship for this Who documentary I have grown to love them so much, and have so much respect for who they were and who they've become, and am kicking myself in the ass for not getting into them earlier and getting a chance to see them when John was still alive. So because of this and other times in my life where I've felt I was missing out on the great performers/musicians/bands of long ago, I realized I will finally make a stand, throw down my cash, and see as many as possible before I miss out on anything else. I saw the Johnny Cash film, Walk the Line, and got upset with myself afterwards for not having seen what he was like in real life...for not having known about him earlier...and now it's too late. I WON'T let this happen again! :o) (See the caps? I mean it!)
--- I'm seeing Jerry Lee Lewis in April...he may be 70ish but he'll still rock out and be a lot of fun.
--- In the summer....if I don't get to see The Who (Who2...) I will cry.
---I saw Dylan, I saw Joni...I would see them again.
--- I saw Elton in September, I would see him again in a heartbeat. Would like to see Clapton, The Stones....you name 'em, I'll see 'em.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bonfire Jones said...

Wow! Lots of good stuff you have planned for 2006. That's great that you have such an interest in music & the 'classic artists' you mentioned!

I was extremely lucky to see Cream at MSG recently. Never thought it would happen. Dreams can come true!

Ed

12:12 PM EST  
Blogger Chris Capp said...

Hi Sarah,

I am a native New Yorker living in LA and I know how harsh it can be living in NYC. But there is nothing like it in the world and any time spent living there will be a major memory in life. So try to enjoy it for what it is. Visit the museums. Catch a play once in awhile. Let the city's gritty creative energy inspire you. LA is lovely, but it's easy to get complacent here. That's nearly impossible in New York!

All the best in 2006!

- Chris

2:22 PM EST  
Blogger Paul said...

Have you read Robert KcKee's book, "Story"? It's a great book for the aspiring screenwriter. Cheers!

3:51 PM EST  
Blogger Rich Greiner said...

Learning to play is a great resolution, going cross country also is. One of the guys I work with over the 4th of July lives in Sedona Arizona and the last two years I've been putting off doing it. He said it's a totally different world. Another frinend of mine that I work with has seen at least 80 different bands by now, and still seeing at least 4 or 5 new ones every year. That is a great goal. Good Luck with them all!

8:36 PM EST  
Blogger neilbymouth said...

Hi there sarah, i totally agree with your piano thing- ive played the guitar for 20 yrs and you could say im pretty damn good by now, (i should be after that long) but i would give it all away to be able to play the piano, brilliant teo handed instrument lol

1:30 AM EST  
Blogger wind-up-man said...

NONE!

2:04 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home